All the profits the Market makes are ploughed back into the community. Since our first market back in October 2011 we have raised nearly £35,000 for local charities.
In recent months we have helped the following charities:
- Home Start take families on a summer outing to Kew Gardens so they can enjoy a day together.
- Kew Community Trust helping fund the Transport and Carer Day Service for the frailest members of the Club.
- 2nd Mortlake Scouts replace camping equipment and purchase additional kit for use by members.
- Embracing Age supporting for a new project to train staff and volunteers to offer meaningful sensory activities to these residents in care homes with dementia.
- Rotary Club of Kew for dictionaries for local schoolchildren
- React to fund urgently needed equipment for life-limited children in the local area.
- Darell Primary and Nursery School with musical instruments
- RUILS towards costs of Paediatric First Aid Training session for volunteer befrienders and sitters
If you are a local charity or community group we may be able to help financially. We prefer to support organisations:
- who help those on the margin of society, by reason of physical and mental disabilities or poverty
- who bring the community in Kew together in some way
- who encourage entrepreneurship and businesses locally
We do not normally support national charities, although we are happy to help local branches working within the local community, nor do we give grants to individuals.
Successful applications are normally for specific projects or purchases rather than for general running costs.
Awards are made four times a year at the October, December, March and July markets.
The amount we give each charity is usually between about £500 and £1000, but we are happy to consider larger (or smaller) requests.
If you wish to apply for an award please complete the form below or email Simon Fowler, the charity co-ordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
There is a charity stall at most markets. The space is free, and you can use it to promote your work or to raise money (at a recent market one charity raised over £600). So why not make come along. It is too late for 2016 but we are accepting bookings for 2017 and 2018. To book, please contact Simon via email@example.com.
We may be able to help charities and voluntary groups in other ways. If you would like to discuss ideas please get in touch. However we do not allow street collections to take place when the Market is on.